Queen - Live At Wembley '86 CD (album) cover

LIVE AT WEMBLEY '86

Queen

Starhammer
3 stars An iconic album from an iconic band...

Recorded in 1986 on their final tour as a band before Freddie Mercury passed away. The tour was in support of studio album number twelve, A Kind of Magic, and features tracks from all of their previous releases excluding Jazz, Flash Gordon, and the self-titled debut. It also features a handful of cover versions of rock 'n' roll standards from the '50s and '60s, a clear reference to early musical influences. Despite showcasing some of their own earlier material, the set-list does read very much like a greatest hits, and so many of Queen's more progressive works are overlooked.

Having never watched the accompanying DVD I have often wondered if I'm missing much in the visual department as my preference for DVD or CD varies from concert to concert, but I also think this allows me to make a more balanced evaluation of the audio alone. The performance throughout is spot-on, and the production strikes a nice balance between raw energy and clarity. Highlights would have to be the opening riff of One Vision, and the largely improvised Impromptu / Brighton Rock Solo culminating in Now I'm Here, which is a personal favourite of mine.

The Verdict: An excellent addition to any classic rock music collection.

Starhammer | 3/5 |