Frank Zappa - The Mothers Of Invention: One Size Fits All CD (album) cover

Frank Zappa

5 stars Perhaps his best album ever, the perfect mix of jazz-rock, blues, rock and a good dose of humor buttered over a delight slice of, I mean vinyl/CD. A while I concidered "The Grand Wazoo" as his best, but I have to say now that this one towers over it by a few inches. It is a more complex work than "Over-Nite Sensation" and "Apostrophe", featuring a bit more ecletic sense of instrumentation and more complex arrangements. A coulpe of brilliant guitar solo's here as well, notably the one in "Inca Roads", which may be his best of his more relaxing ones. Technically; extremely competent and tight, notably Ruth Underwood does a great job behind the percussion kit and Chester Thompson's drumming is jazzy, funky and fits the album style well. The only weak spots here are "Can't Afford No Shoes" and "Evelyn, a Modified Dog", which aren't bad, but a bit weaker than the rest of the albums featured material. I'll give this one 4.75/5
Bj-1 | 5/5 |