Boredoms - Seadrum/House of Sun CD (album) cover

Boredoms

RIO/Avant-Prog

Sheavy
5 stars Oh my.

This is a perfect record for all you krautrockers out there. I have to say I still have a hard time getting over just how good this album is. Boredoms have created their finest record to date with this album, and one that is also much more accessible than their early noise rock experimentations and general chaos. While this album has its fair share of chaos, the first of two tracks, Seadrum is an amazing quick tempoed track with fast and unrelenting drumming courtesy of three drummers/percussionists, some almost operatic like singing, and some keyboards that almost sound like windchimes. If you have ever wanted to be blown away be a song then this 20 minute long monster of drumming awesome is for you. The kraut influence is felt pretty well on this with the drums becoming reptetive after about the first 5 minutes, but they never get old. Once this song gets going, it also doesn't calm down till the ending part.

The second song is a much tamer affair than the first song, and possibly a little more accessible, if you love long raga drones, which I do. This is one of the better raga drones out and like other reviewers have mentioned, similar to Popol Vuh. Some people will probably find this song extremely boring, but for people who love Psychedelic drones and meanderings this will please you a lot.

It is sufficient to say that this is know one of my favorite records period. What with the great juxtaposition of heavy intense and calm and relaxing, this record is a magnificent release by Boredoms, and to anyone put off by their early releases give this a try, as it is an amazing piece of Prog.

Sheavy | 5/5 |