Winds - Reflections Of The I CD (album) cover

REFLECTIONS OF THE I

Winds

Experimental/Post Metal

1791 Overture
4 stars A good late-night listen, this one - plenty of harmonic minor "neoclassical metal" soloing over double bass drumming and precise distorted rhythm guitar (precise and distorted, yeah), with spoken word and string quartet breaks. The strings don't do anything fancy but they tie together the whole experience pretty well, and the lyrics are dumb "introspective, philosophical" cheese, yet they work quite convincingly when you're caught up in the moment listening to it. The sound is extremely consistent throughout the course of the record, and each track flows into the next beautifully. The vocal melodies are also strangely memorable, despite how reserved they are, and I can't quite put my finger on why.

In any case, this is a very solid and refreshing record. I'm not quite sure which crowd it will appeal to most - avant-black metal fans or listeners of traditional prog metal. It's not mind- blowingly complex, or anything - the focus is strong songwriting (and satisfying cadences, especially in the piano - hard to do in metal!) The presence of keyboardist Andy Winter is not quite as present on this record as the following two that Winds would come to release - if you really want to hear him shine and weave his way through trickier song structures, Prominence and Demise might be a better option. However, this is an excellent introduction to the work of Winds, since it's the band's "humblest" offering, and it creates the foundation that their more ambitious works would build upon.

Debating between three and four stars for this one. I'll round up. :)

1791 Overture | 4/5 |