Satellite - Nostalgia CD (album) cover

NOSTALGIA

Satellite

1791 Overture
4 stars What a bizarre, fascinating album. Satellite has always been a band that I've respected from afar; their brand of Polish neo-prog is consistently satisfying, if not exactly mind-blowing. This album has the band sort of derailing in the most amazing way possible - the Banks-inspired keyboard leads are still there, though in a stripped down form. But something is different - the songs are a mishmash of crossover influences, including, incredibly, a strong RnB presence.

I won't bother going through every track of this album, as there are too many surprises, too many musical goodies, to detail. Instead I'd like to focus on the incredible "Am I Losing Touch?" which another reviewer has mentioned (rightly so) as the highlight of the album. It begins as sort of a cheesy film sound track backed by electronic percussion and fretless bass and somehow - I have no idea how - ends up as a disco number, and eventually collapses into a contrapuntal Renaissance-styled vocal section. And, AND [dear Lord, I can't get over the fact that I actually heard this] the bass vocals in this little interlude are the deep "doos" characteristic of 70's RnB tracks...the RnB influences somehow catapult into the Renaissance music and fit *perfectly* - I just...how the hell does that even happen? There are few times when, listening to music, I feel truly SHOCKED by what I hear, by the way various influences are combined to create something astounding. But "Am I Losing Touch?" was one such case. I still can barely believe that this song was written - I don't even know how to talk about it without sounding like an incoherent idiot (as you've probably noticed). This album is a curious fusion of genres throughout, and that is only the most incredible example; *please* give this album a chance and rather than being put off by the various pop music influence throughout, welcome them and try to appreciate how they turn this neo-prog outfit into something utterly unprecedented and unique.

The album is not perfect - as other reviewers have mentioned, some of the song times are bloated and the song structures may not satisfy the more demanding prog fan. But judge this album on its own merits, not on a preconceived notion of what prog should be like. This is wild stuff.

1791 Overture | 4/5 |