Queensr˙che - Operation: Livecrime CD (album) cover

OPERATION: LIVECRIME

Queensr˙che

Starhammer
4 stars Can you put a price on art?

Love it or hate it, there can be no denying that 'Operation: Mindcrime' is an absolute classic. And I imagine the only people who'd want to check out this live recording must also be fans of the studio version. But is it different enough to merit investing in, and more importantly, does it do it justice?

Well it certainly gives an accurate representation of the original, with great performances all round, and there's just enough energy to give it that edge I look for in a live album. The only thing it's really missing is extra material. There are a couple of bonus tracks which is a nice addition, but when compared to the likes of Dream Theater's 'Live Scenes from New York' it falls short. This has nothing to do with preference for either band, or the concept album upon which each performance is based. It has everything to do with the fact that when Dream Theater finish playing 'Scenes from a Memory' they're really just getting warmed up and there's nearly two hours of quality music yet to come!

I almost never consider the price of an album when writing a review, but given that these comparable pieces of progressive metal cost me roughly the same the amount, I feel that LIVECrime certainly gives less value for money.

The Verdict: If you love Mindcrime then you'll love this.

Starhammer | 4/5 |