Leprous - Bilateral CD (album) cover

Leprous

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

Starhammer
3 stars Lackadaisical...

2011 has generally been excellent year for the various forms of progressive metal, but Bilateral was one of the big disappointments. Leprous' previous release 'Tall Poppy Syndrome' is comparable to raspberry and pistachio flavoured ice cream, genuinely delicious but with a bit of a strange aftertaste. Bilateral is that same ice cream but now it's been dropped on the floor and is starting to melt. I really don't hear anything new here, and with fewer stand-out tracks, it's a bit of a step backward for the band.

Whenever I listen to this album I'm always thinking two things. Firstly I'm hoping that this will be the listen that Bilateral finally starts growing on me, and secondly, I'm considering all the other albums I'd rather be spending this hour with. I've really been quite patient with it, but alas, to no avail. That said, the musicianship of Leprous is tighter than ever, and tracks like Mediocrity Wins and Painful Detour make sure this is still a solid release.

The Verdict: Below expectations.

Starhammer | 3/5 |