David Gilmour - David Gilmour CD (album) cover

David Gilmour

3 stars I used to play Dave's second solo album much more than this one. In fact, this one used to languish in my old tape box, gathering dust, until recently. Having started to play it again, I now find I enjoy it much more than I used to. This effort has more guitar on it than About Face, and is, all in all, closer to Floyd than its successor. Both have solid, if unchallenging melodies throughout the songs, but I prefer the production on this earlier record. The songs on this one seem to merge and blend together more than on About Face, which is more diverse. No real highlights on here for me, but, also, no real weaknesses either. 'Mihalis', 'Short And Sweet' and 'Raise My Rent' are probably my favourites here, but it's hard to choose faves in reality. Not much more to really say about this really. Floyd fans will find it pleasant and enjoyable, if not exactly Floyd-like. What it does do is highlight Gilmour's vocal and guitar playing abilities, as one would expect it to do. I will be interested to hear his third solo, due out next year. This is worth adding to any Floyd fan's collection.
chessman | 3/5 |