Spock's Beard - The Light  CD (album) cover

THE LIGHT

Spock's Beard

ianj1234
4 stars Not only is "The Light" one of Spock's Beard's Greatest Albums, but also one of the best CD's from the 90's for progressive rock. Unfortunately, I can't rate this album any higher than 4 though, Spock's Beard's albums have never been perfect, there is always atleast one flaw in all there albums unfortunately, I think "V," was the closest, they ever got to perfection, But I find something in all there albums that make the flaws barely noticable, which is something great about them.

1. The Light, 10/10 There is a reason why they play this song at almost all their shows, this song is just stacked with breathtaking moments, that will stop anything your doing, and drag your attention to the song. One time I put this song while eating my lunch, and it was a 20 minute lunch, because I was so drawn to the song, some people have stated that the song suffers with disconnected sections, and incoherence, and I will have to agree, but the song is so enjoyable, that you really don't care in the end. This was the first song I heard from the Beard, and Will remain in my heart, and will live on to be one of their greatest songs.

2. Go The Way You Go, 7.5/10 A little bit of a step down from the last song, But still remains great. This one's a little bit more melodic, almost neo-prog, but not quite. I don't really like the songs intro, (note that I mean the first 2 minutes or so, which is why I mentioned,) but the rest of the song picks up in a stylish manner.

3. The Water, 7.5/10 This one is both a step up, and a step down from the last song, Spock's Beard has always had a little bit of trouble with long tracks unfortunately, until "V" that is of course. This is the darkest song on the album I think, if this song wasn't melodic, I think it would be an eclectic prog song, maybe along the lines of Beardfish. Many people say that this song suffers from Heavy influences, that are almost copy's, I honestly can't find anything, the only thing I found, was the lady's singing, similar to "Time" by Pink Floyd, other than that, maybe a few influences, most notably probably from King Crimson. This song is probably the less melodic on the album, and does drag a little bit in some sections, (especially near the end I think,) This is probably one of their least accessible songs in their archive. But I find very enjoyable, and far from bad.

4. On The Edge, 8.5/10 A great rocker to end with, along with some of the best bass and guitar playing on the album, Neal's voice on this is great, in fact, I think they all do great on this song, just a solid rocker from them, and an awesome closer that makes you want more.

5. The Light (Home Demo), 9/10 This song was only available if you purchased the special addition, I don't think adding this song made much of a difference, so don't worry anyone who didn't get it, however whenever I listen to this CD, I always listen to this song, it's simply an old version or attempt, that the band did of the song, untill they refined it into the classic it is. But the sections are very different, with many different sounds, and instruments, tempo differences, it is really another version of the song, and is awesome to listen to everytime, if you liked the original song, you will love this song guaranteed.

Spock's beard is one of the best prog rock bands from the 90's for a reason, this album started off Neals career with a bang, and opened many different roads for everyone in the band as well, it took all the prog rock from the 70's, and modernized it into an original, rock, classic. Although the album is flawed, and not quite a 5 star album, I think it's still a must listen, and an excellent addition to any prog rock collection. :)

ianj1234 | 4/5 |