Los Jaivas - Alturas de Macchu Picchu CD (album) cover

ALTURAS DE MACCHU PICCHU

Los Jaivas

Prog Folk

Alka
5 stars I heard this album twelve years ago in a friend´s house and left me impressed. I bought the album and since then Alturas de Macchu Picchu has stay with me as one of my favorite albums of all time.

I have to admit that can´t be objective, but my enthusiasm is, by far, bigger than any reason when I talk about music so here`s what I think:

This is not just an album about folklorical sounds of Southamerica, this album is as conceptual as "Tommy" or "The Snow Goose" because it features passages from "Alturas de Macchu Picchu" a book of poems from Pablo Neruda, in a very clever way: It goes from the glorious past of a ancient civilization to the decadent present of an opressed people finishing with a pray.

Musically goes from Muliza - a musical form from the peruvian Andes - in "Amor Americano" to Joropo - a musical form from Venezuela - in "Sube a Nacer conmigo Hermano" in such a natural way that doesn´t feel like a different band despite the variety of genres.

The lyrics are really something, Neruda´s identification with the opressed is part of the spirit of this album - "I come to talk for your death voice" says in "Sube a Nacer conmigo Hermano" - and the capacity of the band to achieve an album that stays far away from the cliché is remarcable.

They have earned each one of the 5 stars!!

Alka | 5/5 |