Mittelwinternacht '71 - Mittelwinternacht '71  CD (album) cover

MITTELWINTERNACHT '71

Mittelwinternacht '71

Krautrock

Dobermensch
3 stars I think I'll make a night of reviewing purported 'hoax' recordings from the 70's!

The big giveaway with this one is simply the duo's names: Christopher French and Edward Fraser. They might have tried a little harder surely? I wonder what Tangerine Dream's Christophe Franke and Edgar Froese had to say about this? Even the cover looks a little 'Alpha Centauri' doesn't it? Look at where the globe is placed! Coincidence? I think not.

The recording sounds very ''Alpha Centauri' right from the beginning with big booming drums lifted straight from 'Fly and Collision of Comas Sola'. After this though things take a turn for fans of the doom laden. Instruments are so heavily treated and effected it becomes atonal, sounding like sequences from 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre'.

'Die Pulsar Kommt' continues in a similar vein only this time with enormous flange effects. It all gets a bit repetitive the longer it goes on, but this is a pretty good album where atmosphere comes before musical craft.

A very dark and creepy album indeed, which unfortunately doesn't always hold itself together very well.

In fact this sounds like quite a lot of 'Industrial Ambient' cd's that I bought in the early 90's like Schloss Tegal, Brighter Death Now, Deutsch Nepal, Megaptera and Archon Satani.

Just don't expect an ELP extravaganza!

Dobermensch | 3/5 |