Leprous - Bilateral CD (album) cover

BILATERAL

Leprous

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

Mellotron Storm
3 stars The most common comment about this album seem to be that it's a grower. And I have to agree with that statement as I didn't even like it after one listen. Well after about 7 listens I do appreciate it a lot more but I still don't like the vocals, and instrumentally i'm far from being impressed. I'm in the minority though as many seem to be blown away by this latest release from this Norwegian Metal band.

"Bilateral" has this epic intro then it settles in with vocals. Not a fan of the multi-sounding vocals here and elsewhere. The song kicks in and out throughout. "Forced Entry" has an interesting intro then it settles with vocals. Riffs and higher pitched vocals follow. Some nice drumwork 2 1/2 minutes in. Reserved vocals a minute later then it kicks in at 4 1/2 minutes as themes are repeated. "Restless" has this beat as vocal melodies join in then vocals. It kicks in at a minute. Multi-vocals later. "Thorn" has a strange sounding intro then a beat with keys takes over. Vocals follow. It's fuller after 1 1/2 minutes. Somewhat growly vocals from guest Ihsahn after 3 minutes then guest trumpet.

"MB Indifferentia" is a laid back tune with reserved vocals. It turns more passionate late. "Waste Of Air" kicks in right away with double bass drumming then rough vocals. Great sound after 2 minutes when the vocals stop. They're back 3 1/2 minutes in. "Mediocrity Wins" is very proggy because it seems to have it all even a rap-like section. "Cryptogenic Desires" is catchy with a beat and almost spoken vocals, then it kicks in as contrasts continue. "Acquired Taste" opens with piano and desperate sounding vocals as it builds. It continues to shift though. I like the instrumental ending. "Painful Detour" is by far my favourite track. I really enjoy this and can't help but think of how good a whole album like this would be.

A good album but it just doesn't do a lot for my tastes.

Mellotron Storm | 3/5 |