Corelia - Nostalgia CD (album) cover

NOSTALGIA

Corelia

Starhammer
3 stars One for the future...

It's quite common for newly formed bands to release fully instrumental demos, then vocals are later added if and when they become available. For me this can be a frustrating experience as songs which I had initially enjoyed, (such as Another Won by Dream Theater, or more recently, Cipher by Red Seas Fire) either get ruined by lacklustre lyrics, or the singing itself detracts from the musical intricacies. In this respect Corelia are a breath of fresh air as Ryan Devlin's Gildenlow-esque vocals take their compositions to a whole 'nother level.

They cite Dream Theater and djent pioneers SikTh amongst their influences, and whilst both are easily recognisable from the style of Nostalgia, I personally think Corelia's overall sound is more akin to the likes of BTBAM. The instrumentation is complex but with plenty of breathing space and buckets of catchy riffs, it remains accessible.

The Verdict: Don't think for a minute that just because I consider this to be 'non-essential', that it's not worth checking out! One of my favourite EP releases of 2011.

Starhammer | 3/5 |