Pink Floyd - The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn CD (album) cover

THE PIPER AT THE GATES OF DAWN

Pink Floyd

Psychedelic/Space Rock

Eetu Pellonpää
5 stars This is my favorite PINK FLOYD album, and I respect it as well as for the pleasurable music it has, but also as a psychedelic relic from 1967. I think that most of the best rock music emerged from that era, like CREAM and THE JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE.

The opener "Astronomy Domine" introduces the listener to the chaotic world free associations and dreams. I think this is a bold opener, as it hasn't got anything to do with any rational musical directions associated with early psychedelia (like blues or folk), but it has unconventional chord progressions and very lunatic musical ideas. The following "Lucifer Sam" has a more conventional 60's rock song as it's basic structure, but it's attacked with mysterious sounds and has a very manic and good overall feeling in it. I think that it paints us a portrait a black Siamese cat. "Matilda Mother" is also a true gem on this treasure chest, lyrics are thought provoking and the descending chords in the beginning and in the verses create a very mysterious and exiting feeling. "Flaming" begins with an oppressing sound wall, which morphs to a psychedelic pop song. I first had bit uncertain feeling about this, but somehow the tune opened after several listening times and I started to enjoy it much (I heard that the original name of this song was "Flamingo" but the last letter was dropped out). I also enjoyed "Take Up Thy Stethoscope And Walk" which begins and ends with symmetrical drumbeats, and in addition of furiously manic opening and closing verses there's only a freeform psychedelic assault, which amused me lots. The biggest representative of this side of the band is of course "Interstellar Overdrive", which gives us a hint of the material they did on stage during this time. "Scarecrow" and "Bike" are then happily nut acoustic SYD BARRET songs, but they are also very pleasing. Their single "See Emily Play" which was as a bonus track on some import releases of this album is then one of the best songs the whole band has ever recorded.

I guess this album which I value extremely wouldn't please those who have just found PINK FLOYD via "Dark Side of The Moon" album, but I would recommend listening this if you are open minded, or you like the music of late 60's. This is the most classic album which this band ever recorded in my opinion.

Eetu Pellonpää | 5/5 |