The Moody Blues - December CD (album) cover

The Moody Blues

5 stars As a long-time Moodies fan, this was truly a great Christmas present from my wife! The songs are produced quite well, although I wish some of the songs had been cross-faded in the old Moodies fashion. The orchestral backing is very good.

Even though it is billed as a Christmas album, it has a number of songs that would stand on their own outside of the Holiday season, including my favorite, "December Snow". Justin's voice is as beautiful and strong as ever, and his unique guitar work (which he also gets little credit for) winds its way through most of the tracks. It's great to hear John and Justin singing together again on "When a Child is Born" reminds me of the old Blue Jays days! John sings a couple of songs on his own, and I was pleased to hear the stength in his voice as well.

My only regret is that Ray Thomas coudn't have been on hand to add his mellow low voice, and wonderful fllute, especially to "In the Quiet of Christmas Morning", although the session flutist does quite well. I certainly like their version of "Happy Xmas" more than Lennon and Ono's!!

I would certainly recommend this album to any Moodies fan as an essential , and anyone else who wants another chance to hear Justin's incredible vocal talents. This is certainly a great seasonal album, but one I plan on adding to my iPod for all-year listening.

| 5/5 |