Icycore - Wetwired CD (album) cover

WETWIRED

Icycore

Valarius
4 stars Being intrigued by the front cover, I figured 1 Euro was a risk worth taking when I checked out this album on Ebay. It definitely was.

Coming from Italy and released under the Limb Music Products label, Icycore stand out from the huge roster of Progressive and Power Metal bands coming from Europe with a very futuristic and stripped down Prog Metal sound. Although it would be impossible for me to explain what exactly is 'futuristic' about this band, a listen to 'Wetwired' will give you a clear idea of what I mean. Using keyboards and synths effectively, Icycore has a sound to their music as if they came out of some future-post- apocalypse world. A term often used to label Icycore is 'cyber-punk', and whilst I have no idea what this is supposed to be, the word 'cyber' could definitly be used to describe the tone of this bands music.

Musically, this band is very solid. There isn't any really over-the-top virtuoso displays usually associated with this genre, but the band have some pretty intense moments and the combination of distorted guitars and keyboards plays off really well, especially with the very talented vocalist Titta Tani.

Highlights of this record include the epic 'A New Gestalt' and 'Eternal Unlife', the fast and hard- hitting 'The Net' and 'Wetwired' and the beautiful 'Inner Void'. Unfortunately this band doesn't seem to be the most active group around, which is a shame, because this seems to be a very unique and interesting album. I'm not sure if this is for everyone, but I think if you dig the whole European Metal scene, this is definitely an album worth checking out.

Valarius | 4/5 |