Magenta - Seven CD (album) cover

4 stars First off, this is definitely an above average disc. Although labelled as neo prog by some (including this website)I'd say that it's really much more of a symphonic prog album. While it is true that much neo has symphonic elements this album has the complexity and depth of much of the seventies symphonic prog bands particularly Yes, Genesis and Renaissance. In fact I'd say that the sound of this disc is very much comparable to all three of those bands so if you like them there's a very good chance you'll like this disc. While there are some neo prog elements on here, and this disc might appeal to fans of Marillion and especially IQ, the overall sound reminds me more of vintage Yes and Genesis. The female vocalist and some of the classically inspired arrangements also remind me of Renaissance. It's also worth mentioning that, although I don't know for sure, most of the keyboards on here sound like they are analogue and not digital(I know that's important for some people). At any rate this is a great modern symphonic prog recording.
Prog_Traveller | 4/5 |