Marillion - Afraid of Sunlight  CD (album) cover

5 stars For me, Marillion is one of the more powerful bands in not only the progressive genre, but in music as a whole. All 5 members are so brilliant in their craft, that when it comes together what you have is a truly special blend of pure sonic energy, beauty, and music on a much higher plain than most music out there.

Afraid Of Sunlight is a prime example how Marillion can tightrope between pure sonic power, and shear beauty. Even the more subdued songs have an underlying element that hits you at your core just as much (if not more) as their more up tempo songs. The title track not only has some of the most beautiful lyrics I've ever heard, but arguably Hogarth's best vocal performances (and this disc is a vocal clinic put on by H). These factors and the stunning performances of Kelly, Trewavas, Rothery, and Mosley combined gives me gooseflesh from "Gazpacho" to the explosive finale of "King".

Brave barely edges AoS as my favorite Marillion album. Like it's predecessor, AoS constantly stirs the soul and whisks you away on a journey of the spirit. It's music like this that makes me feel sorry for those who either don't "get it", or haven't been introduced to it. My the music of Marillion endure. Brilliant job, Boys.

E-Dub | 5/5 |