Little Atlas - Hollow CD (album) cover

Little Atlas

3 stars Hollow, the latest album by Little Atlas, is another neo-prog piece showing a strong Genesis and Marillion influence. Nothing particularly special about that in concept - lots of bands try for a similar sound - but I think the band are trying to go for something a little bit more imaginative here. I say "I think" because, unfortunately, the album suffers a little from a rather poor mixing job; the instruments all tend to blend together, and whilst there's something to be said for trying out alternatives to the modern production aesthetic of having all the different instruments be clearly separated in the mix in this case the whole thing ends up sounding like a muddle; the vocals, for instance, are often indistinct because they get swallowed up in the mix. It's an interesting album but, to my ears, it could have been a lot better had more care been taken in the production department.
Warthur | 3/5 |