Galahad - Year Zero CD (album) cover

4 stars When I saw the DVD of Galahad in Poland I was stunned by the proficiency of Dean Baker, the keyboard player. I'd originally bought that DVD on the back of hearing 'Empires never last', and I realised what I was witnessing was something very different. Infact, it now seems that the trance/Philip Glass stuff belonged to this album, 'Year zero.' So, when I started 'listening' to the album, I was familiar with all of the music already...

What I find are two unlikely bedfellows. That is, a keyboard player intent on creating atmosphere, whilst the rest of the band want to play Neo-prog...

I don't believe that the two 'fuse' together ultimately. It's more like 'You do your bit, and we'll take over afterwards...'

I like 'atmosphere' music, and I have no complaints, because I like what I hear. What's more, the 'atmosphere' stuff is probably stronger than the Neo-prog stuff...

It's not a 3*, and equally it's probably not a genuine 4* either. I'll go with the latter however, as this album certainly deserves a listen.

sussexbowler | 4/5 |