Rush - Headlong Flight CD (album) cover

HEADLONG FLIGHT

Rush

Starhammer
2 stars Shades of Bastille Day...

Caravan was excellent, BU2B has grown on me, and this latest single from Rush is decent enough. I especially enjoy the lyrics, which reflect the nostalgic perspective of Peart's drum teacher, Freddie Gruber, before he passed away during the recording of the album.

However I have two bones to pick with Headlong Flight, the first of which is its length. Whilst the vocals and instrumentation are both catchy and hard-hitting, there's just not enough variation or development to keep me engaged for the full seven-and-a-half minutes. In addition, the structure of the piece feels a bit unrefined, with some sections held together with nothing more than glue and paper.

The Verdict: Tepid.