Runaway Totem - Pleroma  CD (album) cover

Runaway Totem

Zeuhl

Sean Trane
Prog Folk
2 stars 2,5 stars really!!

I do not know whether this fifth album is supposed to be the final chapter of their musical forays, but they do hint at it with their ever-present pentagram is now filled with an album on each of their prong. The least we can say is that in some five albums, RT has remained pretty constant bringing us a Crimson-influenced Zeuhl, with slightly different variations under their different albums. Although I have heard four of the five albums, I only own Zed, and this album is on loan from the library, but here, there is nothing new on the RT planet.

Well maybe there is something new: compared to and since Zed (their second) , the group has shrunk from a quartet to a duo, obviously this leans that the instruments have been often synthesized, which in general is not good news. With only Morghen and Gottardi in the fold, RT only gets help from on female vocalist (but she is an old acquaintance since already singing on Zed) on one track. Not that this album is bad (far from it really), but I was never a real fan of this poor man's Magma and their musical propos (as much as their mythology - tooooooo derivative of Kobaia) was always a bit lost on me, already by their second album, so by their fifth......

Need I say more?