Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff CD (album) cover

Van Der Graaf Generator

5 stars First of all, this is an exceptional album. I still own the vinyl that I bought in high school, along with H to HE, Pawn Hearts and others. One of my all time favorites, The Sleepwalkers, closes this record. The time changes flow so smoothly, sometimes I forget that this piece starts out in 9/8. But, here's the real reason I'm writing this review, as a response to two other reviews. This is a perfect example of how some get this band, and others do not.

I hope [walker65] dosen't mind me stealing a bit of his review, but it is the reason I'm writing this.

"Hugues Chantraine remarks that he doesn't need cha-cha-cha on a VDGG album. Well I certainly do if they play it like that! The point is they set the listener up with a faithful lounge-style rendition and then restart the piece as a deathly, bastardised abomination that could curdle milk."

The set up is actually more of a bosanova, but thats not as important as the fact that it is a set up. The only other word I would have used to describe the second mutated version of the bosanova section would be twisted. OK, maybe mutated counts too.

Well done walker65, I think you speak for many of us here.

vunder | 5/5 |