Hawkwind - Hawkwind CD (album) cover

HAWKWIND

Hawkwind

Psychedelic/Space Rock

the philosopher
3 stars Hawkwind's self-titled debut record still sounds a bit naive, especially the second side. The opening track "Hurry up Sundown" is an up-tempo folkrock song. After this song I didn't expect this record to be a spacerock classic, although I like the positive sound. The atmosphere does change dramatically however with the second long track. Here we've got a the memorable three chord structure with the backslide played with several instruments at the same time. This song is not complex, but the theme is catchy and it works out quiet good. The spacey background effects became the trademark of this band.

The second side of the record is filled with several shorter tracks which are build on short melodic lines with a lot of repeating. Instruments drop in and fall out, but there doesn't happen anything special. Like the second track on side 1 the tracks are filled with spacey background effects. The effects are not so spectacular however and I so I find this side rather boring.

Even while there is no complexity or spectacular musicianship on this record I do like the first side, because of the nice and relaxed moods. The first side receives 3,75 stars and the second 2,5 stars. Recommended for everyone who wants to relax.

the philosopher | 3/5 |