Jethro Tull - A CD (album) cover

Jethro Tull

Prog Folk

4 stars I never had seen a prog album so polemic. This is my personal opinion. I´m not a great fan of tull but with the presence of Jobson this album call my atention. I give 4 and a half stars to this album because: 1) The composition, perfomance and production are excellent.I get the new edition that includes a DVD with the concert of this album called slipstream where you can see these guys in action (wow!!). Sorry , but this is not an album of one star. 2) This album is unique in the history ´cause joined two dinosaurs of prog rock who came from two different styles (prog folk and symphonic prog). The fusion of these two styles are amazing. In my 30 years of hear prog rock i don´t remember songs like "Uniform" where the flute of Anderson and a the classic electric violin of Jobson are fusioned giving a extraordinary sound and melody "sui generis". 3) the music is complex and the same time very diggest, there´s not epic long songs but in general all the album is very nice. I think the problem of this album is not the quality of the music, the problem is WHAT IS THE CONCEPT of the album?. is this a Jethro tull album or an Anderson's solo album?. Originally the album was a solo project (the title "A" is for Anderson) tells Ian in the new edition. Whatever the guys of the record company (mabye for a better marketing impact) suggest launch it as the new album of Jethro Tull. Surely this was killer for the old fans (and for the rest of the band) 'cause that was understood as a break of the original band and finally the album passed to the story for some fans with this terrible fame unjustly. For this reason i recommend hear it as an Anderson´s solo album. In conclusion, if you are a fan of the classic old Jethro Tull and you wait an album as Aqualung, Thick as a Brick or Heavy Horses maybe you will be disappointed. For other hand for fans of the classic prog, Symphonic or Art Prog this masterpiece is widely recommended.
| 4/5 |