Riverside - Anno Domini High Definition CD (album) cover

ANNO DOMINI HIGH DEFINITION

Riverside

Starhammer
5 stars "I'm the alchemist of our times, I know exactly what you need..."

Anno Domini High Definition really took me by surprise. It was released around the time that my interest with progressive metal was slowly turning into disillusion and cynicism. I scoured the discographies of countless (apparently identical) artists, searching for a new masterpiece, but nothing quite made the grade. My music collection had become saturated, and as I started to explore different genres, it quickly became obvious that if I never again sampled the heralded 'next Images and Words', it would come too soon.

Combine that with the limp conclusion to Riverside's promising 'Reality Dream' trilogy, and the squirming opening lyric to this outing: "I hope my sell-by date didn't expire yesterday...". I wasn't exactly psyched.

But I was wrong. This album is class. Pure class. From start to finish. Although generally heavier than the band's earlier material, the style is hardly unique, but what sets it apart from its predecessors is the balance, structure and flow of each composition. I find it hard to fault, and a joy to listen to. In addition to the frantic instrumental passages which are a mainstay of progressive metal, Riverside excel at bringing atmosphere to their music, and Anno Domini High Definition is no exception. Lastly, and perhaps most importantly is the album's length! Clocking in at just under 45 minutes it remains both accessible and addictive, and proves that just because a CD can hold 70 minutes of music, doesn't necessarily mean it should.

The Verdict: Poland's greatest export since 'Memento Z Banalnym Tryptykiem'.

Starhammer | 5/5 |