Storm Corrosion - Storm Corrosion CD (album) cover

STORM CORROSION

Storm Corrosion

Evolver
Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
4 stars I have been no big fanboy of eirther Steven Wilson or Mikael Akerfeldt. Occasionally, a Porcupine Tree album gets through to me, and I find that I like Opeth on the few occasions when Akerfeldt isn't growling. I actually love the "Heritage" album. But I had no high hopes for this album.

Was I surprised.

The album is low key, somewhat acoustic, and very enjoyable. Akerfeldt's guitar is light but complex, and Wilson's keyboards accompy them perfectly. In fact, much of the album has a folky feel to it, as if we were hearing Simon & Garfunkel's evil counterparts.

The opening track Drag Ropes is the best of the lot. In many ways it sounds like a continuation of the "Heritage" album. It is dark and lush, with vocals that sound a bit like Gentle Giant, but more like Neil Morse's imitation. But still great.

I find that I just cannot resist playing this album over and over.

Evolver | 4/5 |