North Sea Radio Orchestra - I a moon CD (album) cover

I A MOON

North Sea Radio Orchestra

Prog Folk

Mellotron Storm
3 stars Quite the buzz going around for this band so I thought i'd jump on the wave and check out their latest "I A Moon". They are a British Folk / Chamber ensemble consisting of many members (10 are listed here) playing strings, horns and pretty much everything else. We get male and female vocals. Now I must admit everything i've described so far would cause me to approach with caution, not being into Folk or to a lesser extent Chamber music. My first listen was a disappointment. So I thought maybe it was just over-hyped but after many, many listens this just clearly isn't for me.

"Morpheus Miracle Maker" is without question my favourite. The Kate Bush-like vocals especially before 4 minutes are just too appealing and it is quite catchy. "I A Moon" is almost silly sounding with vocals. Maybe wimsical is the word. "Guitar Miniature #3" is a short piece with acoustic guitar melodies throughout. "Heavy Weather" is light with piano and male vocals. Female vocals come in as they continue to trade off. Strings before 1 1/2 minutes then vocals and piano lead again as themes are repeated. "Berliner Luft" opens with horns then strummed guitar and a PINEAPPLE THIEF-like sound takes over. That changes unfortunately when the horns return. Strings after 3 1/2 minutes.

"Morpheus Drone" sounds like wind-chimes and strings. "The Earth beneath Our Feet" continues with the chimes and strings then acoustic guitar and vocals follow. "Ring Moonlets" sounds like a toy keyboard and more in this instrumental that i'm not a fan of. "When Things Fall Apart" is vocals and piano mostly with strings before 3 minutes. "Mitte Der Welt" is mostly intricate sounds as strings join in.

Just not a fan of this style but it's certainly worth 3 stars.

Mellotron Storm | 3/5 |