Franco Battiato - Come Un Cammello In Una Grondaia CD (album) cover

COME UN CAMMELLO IN UNA GRONDAIA

Franco Battiato

Rock Progressivo Italiano

octopus-4
2 stars A Persian scientist of the XII Century was used to say "I live like a camel into a gutter" to show how is language was inadequate to speak of science. This is where the album's title is from. The cover is a paint of Battiato himself who has signed it with his arabic nickname.

It's a very short album as almost all in his production with 4 "minimal" songs on the A side and the arrangement of 4 lieders on the B side.

If the four songs can't be considered as classical music, all the instrumentation is classical and also the melodies have an operistic touch. Of the four the best is the last: "L'Ombra Della Luce" (Light's Shadow) both as music and lyrics.

The B side is classical music, with Battiato singing in German on themes of Wagner and Brahms , in Engllish on Beethoven and in French on the lieder of the less known (at least by me) Johann Martin.

This album can be seen as a prelude to Battiato's big opera "Gilgamesh" and had an unexpected "quite" good result in terms of sales.

From a progressive point of view it's not much interesting and I have to say that even as classical music I've heard better things. This album falls in the same "twilight zone" of the opera written by Roger Waters "Ca Ira": not enough rock and not enough classical so that everybody is disappointed.

My rating is not going to change the average.

octopus-4 | 2/5 |