Van Der Graaf Generator - A Grounding In Numbers CD (album) cover

A GROUNDING IN NUMBERS

Van Der Graaf Generator

Starhammer
2 stars Sad face...

This is the third studio offering from Van der Graaf Generator since they reformed in 2005. Although I have not heard the previous two, I find 'A Grounding in Numbers' to be somewhat disappointing. It should be pointed out that I'm not the sort of person that immediately writes off new material from well established bands simply because "it's not as good as the old stuff", on the contrary I find myself trying harder to like it! But this really doesn't make the grade for me.

There are definitely some enjoyable moments, but they also tend to also be the most accessible and I don't really listen to VdGG for their catchy riffs. I listen to VdGG for their dark atmosphere and experimental exploration, but those parts generally sound lethargic and offer little or no interest here. I really have tried quite hard to appreciate this album, but I have to concede its a bit of a dead end. I think the telling tale is that if 'A Grounding in Numbers' didn't have Van der Graaf Generator written on the cover, I probably wouldn't even have given it a second listen.

The Verdict: Just like a real maths lesson, I can't wait for it to end.

Starhammer | 2/5 |