Dream Theater - Live At The Marquee CD (album) cover

LIVE AT THE MARQUEE

Dream Theater

Starhammer
4 stars A tribute to James Labrie's larynx...

Live at the Marquee is Dream Theater's very first live album, and was recorded after the release of just two studio albums. I've listened to enough live Dream Theater to last a lifetime and so was understandably reluctant to get this early chronicle. The completionist in me eventually gave in, although my justification for the purchase was somewhat bizarre. I had decide that this would provide me with the opportunity to award a live Dream Theater album three stars. All the others I had listened to were either very good, or very bad, so this would be the quintessential middle-of-the-road offering. Looking back, this prejudicial justification seems even more ridiculous given my eventual conclusion.

The Good: James Labrie's voice! It's had many ups and downs over the years (mainly downs), but this is a high like no other. It's raw and energetic with great performances throughout, but a special mention must go to A Fortune in Lies and The Killing Hand where he brings a new lease of life to 'When Day and Dream Unite'.

The Bad Not So Good: It's really short, a mere 45 minutes. You could argue this is due to the lack of available material, however the exclusion of Take the Time (which is included on the DVD) is unforgivable, as it is easily the best live recording of this song to date.

The Verdict: Exceeds all expectations.

Starhammer | 4/5 |