Dream Theater - Uncovered 2003-2005 CD (album) cover

UNCOVERED 2003-2005

Dream Theater

Starhammer
2 stars Who are you...

This official bootleg from Dream Theater was compiled over a two year period and pays tribute to a wide variety of artists including Queen, Black Sabbath, Journey and Pantera. The choice of songs are excellent, however, I find the greatest achievement a cover version can make is to aid the discovery of new bands and new albums. As I was already familiar with 90% of the material here, this crucial element is lost on me.

The performances are generally good, although the live setting means it lacks the consistency of the 'Black Clouds & Silver Linings' second disc. I enjoy most of the songs here, but the only two I really find myself coming back to are Heart of the Sunrise, and a fantastic collaboration with Queensr˙che for Won't Get Fooled Again. Overall a decent album, but I really cannot justify giving any cover song collection more than three stars, unless it is truly exceptional and puts a new twist on the material.

The Verdict: Collectors/fans only.

Starhammer | 2/5 |