Bigelf - Hex CD (album) cover

3 stars When Floyd met Sabbath...

The band's influences are blindingly obvious, not only in the music, but also the lyrical themes. However, they are not totally derivative with plenty of intricate synthwork mixed in with those dirty guitars. For the longest time 'Cheat the Gallows' was my favourite Bigelf album, but more recently I am starting to prefer 'Hex'. Whilst none of the tracks are as good as the likes of Hydra, just about all of the tracks are better than (the rest of) the second half of 'Cheat the Gallows'.

The main attraction with 'Hex' is that it is consistently consistent, I can listen to it from start to finish and enjoy every minute. For this reason I find it hard to pick stand-out tracks and my favourites fluctuate with every listen, but at the moment they include Madhatter, Rock & Roll Contract and Carry the Load.

The Verdict: An excellent addition to any hard rock music collection

Starhammer | 3/5 |