Weather Report - Heavy Weather CD (album) cover

HEAVY WEATHER

Weather Report

Sheavy
3 stars Weather Reports most well known album, Heavy Weather, is hailed by many as a landmark in jazz fusion. Well, I'm not quite sure I would call it a landmark, as I find Steely Dan's pop jazz works to be much more entertaining and better than this album. But, this is not a bad record.

Heavy Weather starts off with WR's most well known song, Birdland, which is a very nice groovy pop jazz song, and it has some nice synth playing by Joe Zawinul. The next song, A Remark You Made, is a boring slow jazz song that you might here at an upscale restaurant. Not very interesting at all, bland sax soloing, and very anonymous. The next song is probably my favorite on this entire record. Teen Town returns to upbeat playing, and is dominated by Jaco Pastorius's great bass playing. The other highlights on this album are the live Rumba Mama, which is a live recording of african (I think...) tribal shouting, and some nice drum and congo soloing. The next two tracks, Palladium, and The Juggler are not bad, but very forgettable poppy jazz tracks. The last track here, Havona, is my second favorite track here, mainly because it sees the WR crew come somewhat out of their strict controlled pop jazz on most of the other tracks, and really ( somewhat, anyway) let go and play. It is an intricate track, with great soloing from Shorter, Zawinul, and Pastorius, and is definantly the best way they could have brought this album to a close.

While not bad, it isn't amazing either. If you enjoy the poppier side of Jazz Fusion you will probably enjoy this a lot, but if you are loking for intricate and complex, playing you won't find much to please you here.

Sheavy | 3/5 |