Pat Metheny - Watercolors CD (album) cover

WATERCOLORS

Pat Metheny

Eetu Pellonpää
4 stars This was one of the first jazz records that I ever listened to voluntarily. I guess the pleasant overall feeling makes it quite accessible. There are lovely impressionistic elements on this record too, but no cacophonies or very complex song structures.

The title track "Watercolors" opens the album, and introduces Pat's clean and pleasant guitar sound. Sometimes his style goes so sweet and happy that it sounds a bit banal to my ears, but at least this song doesn't do that. And I must admit that I just love that acoustic piano which Lyle plays. The best parts of this record are in my opinion the meditative and atmospheric slow songs, which start immediately after the opener. "Icefire" is a quiet solo guitar piece, and "Oasis" is also a quiet, Arabic influenced piece. Then there are some shorter and happier country influenced tunes. "Lakes" is quite OK, but "River Quay" and "Suite" are maybe a bit too sweet for my taste. The long closing track "Sea Song" is the maybe the best track by Pat that I have heard. The piano, drums and bass create beautiful, delicate waves on which Pat starts to surf with his guitar. The result is so strong and full of longing, that I cannot describe it sufficiently, it's just unbelievable.

I would recommend this album for all of those prog heads who are interested of jazz, but haven't yet got into it. Also those who are interested of good guitar players and soothing, peaceful music should check this out.

Eetu Pellonpää | 4/5 |