Mendel - Subliminal Colors CD (album) cover

SUBLIMINAL COLORS

Mendel

Gallifrey
4 stars This is an album I have watched from almost the beginning. After finding it on the Prog Metal subreddit with a comparison to The Human Abstract, I immediately accepted the free download Mendel's band camp offers, and was quite astonished.

After beginning, I then find that all this beauty is done by just one man, who I found on Facebook, and am now Facebook friends with (yes I'm that cool).

Musically, the album is an instrumental progressive metal affair, with hints of neo-classical (organ in "Shores" and piano in "Absolution"), as well as a prominence of the 'djent' sound that has appeared recently.

Unlike most djent bands, the music is not fully dominated by chugging power chords, they are just an extra layer to the wonderful guitar work over the top, and unlike most instrumental bands, you don't get bored.

The bulk of the album (tracks 1-8) is nothing incredible, there are moments of shear beauty, but not really worth full 5 stars.

The 5 stars come from the final two, specifically the 25 minute ridiculous explosion called Absolution.

"Reprise" sets itself as a simple interlude before the final epic (think Opeth's "Patterns In The Ivy"), but is done almost fully on piano, and falls smoothly into the piano intro of Absolution. The first 8 minutes of this epic contain some of the best piano/guitar combinations I have ever heard, and the album is worth getting just for this part.

The rest of the epic contains similar material to the first few tracks, but many of the album's best riffs are in this mid-section. It finishes with a return to the piano of the beginning.

Overall: DEFINITELY worth the download. It's free, so why not. mendelain.bandcamp.com is the link for that. If you're a fan of anything from Beethoven to Necrophagist you will like this in some way.

Main album 4/5 Last track 5/5