Hawkwind - Doremi Fasol Latido  CD (album) cover

Hawkwind

Psychedelic/Space Rock

Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Rock Progressivo Italiano Team
4 stars I hadn't really planned on reviewing this album, and only took it off the shelf because a friend called me from the local music store saying `They've discounted this Hawkwind album to $5 for the remastered CD, should I grab it?" Of course I told him to snap it up! So I figured now was a good as time as any to give the album another few spins of my exact same remastered copy to refresh my memory. Thanks to Harry for ringing and making me dig out this overlooked album by me!

I've always considered the early era of Hawkwind to be full of plodding, monotonous, repetitive, crushing and inane punky spacerock, but don't think for a second that I mean that as a criticism! Those are all classic Hawkwind trademarks that we love, and they set the standard for so many bands to come.

This original version of `Brainstorm' is not a favourite of mine, as I find Nik Turner's vocals really cartoonish and hideously dated, but the lengthy instrumental passages full of pummeling bass and distorted chugging guitars, the mindless filtered saxophone and warped electronic effects are really exhilarating and frequently overwhelming. Much of this track really sets in stone a sound that most people identify this band with.

Although `Space Is Deep' is driven by a very folky and acoustic guitar backing, it's swamped in swirling electronic effects and before long it's deeply lost in space. The first half has very acid- drenched imagery in the lyrics, while the second half when the bass and drums kicks in has a really confident stomp to it.

`One Change' is (surprisingly for Hawkwind!) a very low-key, subtle beautiful piano and bass piece! Shame it only lasts for less than a minute!

Monstrous punishing bass, rattling drums and an unhinged vocal from Dave Brock barking out rambling lines means `Lord Of Lights' destroys all in it's path. Lemmy powers through this track, very loose and groove-filled. Another long and trippy track, full of typical Hawkwind characteristics.

I love how the folky elements on the intro to tracks like `Down Through The Night' still sound very alien and other-wordly. The phasing effects behind the guitar just enhances this feeling. Strong vocals from Brock again, his voice is especially confident on the acoustic tracks on this album.

More dirty stomping bass fades in for `Time We Left...', with waffling treated sax flying in and around Brock's inane lyrics. The guitar playing about 1:40 seems really off and unpleasant, before deteriorating into a seriously loopy and maddening chanted mess, reminds me a little bit of Gong! Unpleasantly groovy, Lemmy's bass near in the final few minutes is really bent! Very addictive track, more please!

`The Watcher' is an unsettling acoustic come-down from the twisted previous track. It's severely wasted and features a suitably stoned lead vocal from Lemmy. No drums or percussion at all, and only a few spacey effects near the very end. Somehow reminds me a little of early Black Sabbath and Ozzy! "This is the end now..." is suitably apocalyptic to wrap the album up on.....and if he hadn't ending up playing on their next album, I'm pretty sure I'd have been convinced that Lemmy really did keel over after that long drawn out final note on the lyric!

`Doremi' is a knockout spacerock album, powerful and noisy, with a great variety between longer menacing spacey rockers andpsychedelic folky ballads. Improved and tighter production still highlights their improvisational trademarks while keeping things relatively lo-fi. The acoustic guitar playing is powerful and confident, played with real belief and purpose. The band also make even the most incoherent lyrics sound grand and filled with purpose. The blur of electronics, warped sax playing, crumbling bass and fuzzed out guitars make for a truly disorientating and fascinating experience.

Into the blackness we drown!

Aussie-Byrd-Brother | 4/5 |