Emerson Lake & Palmer - Black Moon  CD (album) cover

Emerson Lake & Palmer

3 stars A strong return to form 13 years after their dissolution in 1979. The playing is surprisingly muscular, and the band tight and authoritative. Quite a change from the whimper and disappointment that was "Love Beach". The songwriting is more concise and contemporary, though Emerson does manage to get in one classical adaptation with the "Dance Of The Knights" from Prokofiev's ballet Romeo & Juliet. I was quite excited when it was released in '92 and have really enjoyed this album through the years, though if anything I had hoped that it would have been a bit more adventurous, or at least had forecast of greater creative glory to come for ELP. Unfortunately the story did not play out that way, but we have this record to remind us of just how good these fellows were when the stars aligned properly. ***1/2
Progfan1958 | 3/5 |