To-Mera - Exile CD (album) cover

EXILE

To-Mera

Gallifrey
4 stars To-Mera ? "Exile"

12/20

49th place album of the year 2012

Before its release, I was given a free copy of To-Mera's "Exile" to review, which, due to it being free, I wrote an overtly positive review despite not being entirely certain of my opinions. A few months later and now I can safely say that I do enjoy this album, and my earlier 4 star review was justified, but I figured I'd re-review for reasons for its placing in this list.

Basically, I, like many, found To-Mera due to the phenomenal Haken, who share two members. This album and band are very different to Haken, despite being in the same genre, Progressive Metal. First and foremost, To-Mera has a female vocalist, the stunning Julie Kiss. And while Haken focuses on the virtuosic Dream Theater-esque prog metal, To-Mera are a darker, heavier band with less focus on vocal melodies and synth solos and more on tone and atmosphere. Although I prefer Haken, it's still a very good album, and nice to hear the similarities between them.

To-Mera have a very unique style, and I don't know many other bands who sound anything like them. There are some djenty moments, some very layered Isis-like metal parts, the prog metal solos, but with a fantastic female voice over the top. This uniqueness puts them high on a must-listen list, but the album doesn't have any real striking melodies to stick it out higher up my list, with the possible exception of hard rocker "End Game".

A nice continuation of To-Mera's already unique style, recommended for anyone bored with current prog metal and looking for something fresh, or for fans of Haken who want more (this album has some similarities to their debut, "Aquarius". But like many albums on this list, I have become tired of them after several listens. But you should listen anyway, because I said so.

Gallifrey | 4/5 |