Aragon - Don't Bring The Rain CD (album) cover

DON'T BRING THE RAIN

Aragon

Angelo
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Can you hear the wolves at the door?

Once I had a girlfriend who's mother was into the same music as we were - Rush, Marillion, Dream Theater and the likes. One day, she bought this album, and I got a copy on tape. I lost that tape long since, and spent lots of time looking for the CD - I really loved this at the time. Finally I found it and bought it (september 2006). The album is a bit less lively that I recalled, and the production is not as brilliant as I remember. Still, the songs I recalled best, Company of Wolves, Solstice and The Crucificxion are nice to hear again.

What initially attracted me most at the time is the singer's voice - it has a unique sound to it, not exactly an opera singer, and it's very expressive. On hearing the album again after almost 15 years, I can't help but notice that the programmed bass (not programmed drums!) make the music sound a bit monotonous in some tracks. It wastes the memories a bit, since I was not interested in that kind of information when I was younger.

I'd say this album gets 3 stars, since it not as brilliant as I remembered it. The songs are worthwhile in terms of keyboard work, time changes and the vocals (which not everybody will appreciate), but suffer from the absence of a real-life bass player and expressionless drums. However, this album has the same effect on me as described in the last lines of Company of wolves:

(don't tease wolves that arrive at your door) cause they'll just keep returning for more

I'll play this one regularly...

Angelo | 3/5 |