Harmonium - Si On Avait Besoin D'Une Cinquième Saison CD (album) cover

SI ON AVAIT BESOIN D'UNE CINQUIÈME SAISON

Harmonium

Argonaught
5 stars Today I was preparing some of my "rarely used" (euphemism for "out of favor") LP's for sale on eBay. Pulled out the Cinquieme Saison out of its storage bin. Since the record was bought in mint condition and barely got used, I had to play-grade it to be able to legitimately claim NM status. And so I did .. and I enjoyed it so much that I decided to keep it.

I may never find out why this album had originally fallen out of favor (one's mind is a great big mystery, even one's one mind). But, I a can give you all a few reasons why the Cinquieme Saison was re-instated, given a heavy-duty jacket cover and returned to the E-J bin :)

(1) From the moment the stylus sank on the vinyl, I was amazed how quiet it was. The sound quality was outstanding as well (BTW, for the wax worshipers: CEL-1900).

(2) I don't know if I the word "prog" would be first thing that springs to my mind when I think of Cinquieme Saisons; is more of romantic folk rock. But, it's well composed, well played and well sung - as far as I am concerned, these along would be sufficient grounds for rating it better than average.

(3) The music is rather gentle, sweet and soothing, but - surprisingly- free of any syrupy, artificially introduced or sterile stuff. I'd add another star just for this hard-to-attain equilibrium.

(4) Other than one, somewhat boring/repetitive stretch towards the end of the Side A, the music is really very tasteful and free of any flaws.

So, in spirit of Sunday generosity I'll round the 4.5 stars up to FIVE.

Argonaught | 5/5 |