Threshold - March Of Progress CD (album) cover

MARCH OF PROGRESS

Threshold

SouthSideoftheSky
Symphonic Team
3 stars Their instinct is not extinct!

With all respect to Andrew "Mac" McDermott (who sadly passed away after having fronted Threshold since the late 90's and sung on five studio albums), Damian Wilson has always been and will always be the Threshold front man for me. Not only was he the original singer, but the two previous albums Wilson sang on, Wounded Land and Extinct Instinct, are also Threshold's best two albums ever in my opinion; the latter being my #1 favourite.

15 years after the release of the Extinct Instinct masterpiece, Wilson now returned to the band to record his third album for the band overall: March Of Progress. Given how much I like Wounded Land and Extinct Instinct, I was naturally excited to hear this one. Stylistically, it is indeed closer to these earlier albums than to the Mac-fronted albums of recent years. But in terms of quality it is not up to par with those previous Wilson-fronted gems. Still, I would say that it is the best new Threshold album since 1998's Clone (my favourite out of the Mac-lead albums).

1997's Extinct Instinct was a milestone album, not only in the history of the band, but in the history of progressive Metal. March Of Progress is enjoyable and a welcome addition to the Threshold catalogue in its own right, but it understandably feels somewhat predictable and "safe" by comparison. Somewhat disturbingly, some passages here come almost too close in style to Extinct Instinct. They certainly still know how to play and how to write, but they are not pushing any boundaries. Nobody who has followed the band, and the genre as a whole, over the years since Threshold first appeared on the scene will be surprised by anything on here.

What I am really hoping for now is a live album (and/or DVD) with Damian Wilson on vocals and a set list dominated by tracks from the three albums on which Wilson originally sang (including this one). In the meantime, this studio album is a good addition to the collections of Prog Metal fans.

SouthSideoftheSky | 3/5 |