The Faceless - Autotheism CD (album) cover

AUTOTHEISM

The Faceless

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

Gallifrey
4 stars I have never heard The Faceless before this album. So when I came into it with the genre "technical death metal" in my mind, I was expecting repetitive chugging guitars with growled vocals. I was pleasantly surprised.

This is a far more melodic piece of work than any Tech Death I've heard before, with a high percentage of clean vocals which at times sound a lot like Devin Townsend. The band appear to be picking up where Opeth left off after Watershed, but with more technicality and less acoustic.

The opener, 18 minute "Autotheist", is an absolutely gorgeous song. Split up into three movements, it deals with the concept of the record which I can assume is about being god (but I'm not sure). The first movement is a melodic piece with some really nice vocal layering which moves wonderfully into the very fast, and typical tech death second movement, which draws a few comparisons to Townsend. The third movement has an odd almost jazzy opening section, before entering the heaviest part of the song, which will please old fans, but ends rather nicely on a melodic note.

The rest of the album contains several shorter songs, so naturally the progressive influence is less pronounced. Some really nice tracks there with great melodic work.

For fans of Townsend and Opeth, but anyone who likes melodic metal will like at least one part of this album.

Gallifrey | 4/5 |