Harmonium - Si On Avait Besoin D'Une Cinquième Saison CD (album) cover

SI ON AVAIT BESOIN D'UNE CINQUIÈME SAISON

Harmonium

Shakespeare
4 stars A French teacher at my school found out that I was into Zeppelin (back when I was actually into Zeppelin...), and one day approached me with 2 Harmonium albums (and a Beau Dommage album) telling me I would enjoy it. Well, I uploaded them on iTunes, listened to the title track of the debut album, and then went back to listening to Pink Floyd and Zeppelin.

A few months later, I decided I would listen to the songs with no play count on my iTunes library, and the first song that stood out was "Histoires sans Paroles". The main reason: the title. Even though I speak French (hurray Ottawa education!) I would prefer hearing a song with no French lyrics. (Nowadays, I don't mind at all.)

I was absolutely blown away by the first note of the flute in the intro.

Histoires still remains one of my favourite songs, and in some strange way, touches me personally like very few songs do. It was phenomenally written, and excellently executed. One thing I noted, is the fact that there is no drums in this album at all. And being a drummer, oddly enough, I found that refreshing.

Although this is a very symphonic album, with many keyboard and piano sounds, and soft acoustic guitars and flutes, there's is also a lot of folk here. But regardless of its classification, the entire album is full of beautiful melodies, interesting lyrics (but nothing astounding), and a very, very memorable atmosphere.

Shakespeare | 4/5 |