Rush - Moving Pictures CD (album) cover

MOVING PICTURES

Rush

4.41 | 1966 ratings

Lord Anon
4 stars What a seminal record for rock music--progressive rock aside. Just an interesting, well- arranged album full of great sounds and ground-breaking moments. Sure, a bit on the pretentious side, as people will say, but easily my favourite 80's record. Accessible to any listener and just damn entertaining music.

When I first listened to this album, I was really disappointed. I was expecting something that'd blow my mind; something epic and exciting. Which it was... But it didn't really leave me with anything. I gave up on it after a second listen and really didn't listen to it again, UNTIL... A few years later, I'm listening to music on my MP3 on complete shuffle; When a song comes up... It immediately catches my attention and I'm think "What could this be? I don't think I've heard anything like this before. " I was preoccupied and I couldn't check until later. Then I realize that I had heard this before. It was Rush's "Limelight" and that was the moment I immediately started loving this album.

I think I'm at a play count of 10 times per each song on this. Each and every one of them makes you hungry for more, which is why the album as a whole is so great. They're catchy, unusual and rockin'. From monster tracks like "Tom Sawyer" and "The Camera Eye", an elaborate 11- minute piece to simple instrumentals like "YYZ" and driving tracks like "Red Barchetta". "Vital Signs" closes the album with an unsettling bang. This 40-minute masterpiece is just one of those albums that I can't really say much about because everyone's taste varies; I find it easier than most people to look beyond the silly, pretentiousness of Prog Rock and just lie back and enjoy the music.

An album that I will continue to consider an all-time favourite. Really defines an era of music, that I'm not the biggest fan of. Highlights: Neil Peart's drumming, strange electronic noise, catchy hooks, elaborate...ness... and of course Neil Peart's drumming.

Lord Anon | 4/5 |