Marillion - Holidays in Eden  CD (album) cover

HOLIDAYS IN EDEN

Marillion

Cristi
4 stars It is really difficult for me to review this particular album simply because it is my all time favourite album. When I first heard it in 1992, it totally blew me away. I was speechless as it was my first "contact" with the band, (I admit that) but as I listened to the other albums,my enthusiasm and love for this album has NEVER changed. I was "shocked" at first when I read the reviews here on this site and found out this album is the least popular Marillion album. But I guess I'm just a minority in this case, so be it.

What else can I say? There may not be enough superlatives for me to use (just kidding a little bit) to express my enthusiasm; great musicianship from all members of the band, amazing vocals from Steve Hogarth, very good lyrics. I think this album received all the "heat" from fans because it was different from the previous albums; nevertheless, there is a lot of "progressiveness" on songs such as Splintering Heart, The Party and the This Town/Rakes Progress/100 Nights Trilogy. The slower tracks have always put a smile on my face (at least) - No One Can, Dry Land and Waiting to Happen; and last but not least, the two remaining rockers - Cover My Eyes and Holidays in Eden are enjoyable tracks for any rocker or prog-rocker.

Therefore I give 4 stars to Marillion's Holidays in Eden (not 5 stars as one might have thought, actually the 4 stars is even better), I highly recommend this album to all of you. This album has been my favourite for so many years, so I guess it ought to be enough for you to give it a listen, you might be surprised....

Excuse my subjectivity....