Perhaps - Volume One CD (album) cover

VOLUME ONE

Perhaps

Post Rock/Math rock

omphaloskepsis
5 stars I live in Fort Worth Texas. Not your stereo-typical prog rock hot bed of activity. In the old US'of A, Pennsylvania and Boston are where it's at when it comes to prog rock heaven. This trio of musicians from the Boston rock and reverberate like an agittated, fire ant funeral mound, swooning over Yes's "Close to the Edge's Solid Time of Change. " (Think Steve Howe's spidery guitar intro), And that's just the first several sizzling minutes of Perhap's "Volume One" prog opus, sweet, bitter suite.

Wait a minute, wait an hour, wait a lifetime. Perhaps Perhaps will singe the skin off my ear drums for 33 and a 1/3 more minutes? And as if you didn't know, the answer is a resounding yes! They mesmerize and rock at the speed of "Man or Astro Man," gnashing baby teeth through half a dozen King Crimson sleeping tablets. "Volume One" is reminiscent of a "trip the light fantastic", effervescence tornado, or an incandescent permanent wave rushing past a charge of the light brigade, through a flurry of keleidoscopic acid flashbacks, with a blurred soundtrack background, drenched in Coltrane kaos, and Miles and miles of trumpet.

Perhaps "Perhaps" will crush you? Or perhaps you will crush hard on Perhaps, like I did for their replendent math rock. A riff, a riff, my kingdom for a riff! Hush! But I can't shush, because I'm over a cliff for Perhaps! And I'm laughing out loud, because in an era where delux editions of many prog albums cost upwards of 30 dollars, I only had to pay Amazon 89 cents for Perhap's tour de force, cerebral bomb blast glass of Prog Rock laudamum! 9/10

omphaloskepsis | 5/5 |