Quaser - Phase Transition CD (album) cover

PHASE TRANSITION

Quaser

Prog_Traveller
4 stars If you are a fan of modern symphonic prog or heavy prog then please pay attention to this review, as this CD could be right up your alley. Quaser (not to be confused with the British neo band from the 80's called Quasar) are a modern prog band from Japan who actually formed in 1976. Even though the band has been around for almost thirty years I still call them modern because of the sound and the fact that their first album, "Out from Quaser" wasn't released until 1994.

Phase Transition is the band's third album and has a very sophisticated vibe with sounds that hint at prog's past yet also sound very contemporary and modern. The four musicians on this CD play bass, guitar, drums and keyboards/vocals. The keyboards feature mostly synths but also some piano floating in and out. The four-part "Promised Land" suite could be edited to play as one 22 minute epic. However, on the CD only the first three parts of it play together with the fourth being the last track out of 8 tracks. The last part of this epic is probably the best out of the four and one of the high points of the CD. Another highlight for me (and possibly the best track over all) is the five minute plus instrumental "Tarotmaster." This is a very cool track indeed that doesn't have the potential distraction of any vocals. Don't get me wrong, the vocals on this CD are not bad at all but there does seem to be a lot of them and it is probably the only drawback (and a minor one at that) of this CD. I should also mention that the vocals are in Japanese but they fit this music very well.

If you are a fan of modern symphonic prog or heavy prog I can easily recommend this album to you, as it is a very good modern symphonic prog album with a strong emphasis on keyboards and lead guitar. Even though this album has some elements of neo prog (although it's perhaps a bit more eclectic and more involved than most neo I have heard) and prog metal it is by no means typical of either of those two forms of prog. The guitars are a bit on the heavy side (even metalish) and the rhythm section is very tight but over all this is not prog metal.There are even some fusion elements on here but this leans much more in the prog direction than it does fusion.

Unfortunately I can't compare this to their other two albums since I haven't heard those but I can say that this one doesn't disappoint.

Prog_Traveller | 4/5 |