Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream CD (album) cover

STUPID DREAM

Porcupine Tree

OpethGuitarist
3 stars Stupid Dream offers a mix of great tracks and mediocre ones, and they have carefully established their genre as "interesting rock". There are many pleasant and easy to like songs that would appeal to a more general public. A lot of the album is very subtle, which I think is some beautiful artistry by Wilson.

The highlight of the album is Even Less. A great prog rock song that fits right in there with the "classics". It's a great little melody that will certainly stick with you. However, most of the album is too commercial for me. I can only enjoy the "pop" rock nature of it for so long. I'm sure many of the older fans were more displeased with this record than I was, having got into the band with the release of In Absentia.

The album is a fairly big change for the band, and while still having intrigue and many prog moments, its much less of the "good stuff" than you might hope to find.

OpethGuitarist | 3/5 |