Primitive Instinct - One Man's refuge CD (album) cover

Primitive Instinct

4 stars My 'coup de coeur' of 2012 !

I won't sell it to you as the best prog album of the year. In fact, I won't even sell it to you as a prog album. And I doubt that it will appear in any prog poll of 2012. So if you are searching for something complex and demanding, you won't find much to like here. And still, it is well worth the listen.

kev rowland's review tells the story pretty well about the numerous influences that don't prevent the album for showing the band's own personality.

That results in 10 beautifully crafted songs. No show-off, no pyrotechnics, no weird changes of rhythm, not even the so trendy heavy riffing but lots of melodies and emotion instead. Most of the songs have a slow or mid-tempo but each has its own dynamic, tells a real story and we are far from ambient nor boring material. The music is mostly guitar driven with some subtle keyboards parts. Nick's voice is quite captivating to my ears. It really fits the music, adding a palpable depth to the songs. Lyrics are rather simple but touching enough.

My favorite tracks so far would be 'Falling Down' and 'Solitary Man' but none of the others has been a letdown.

Thanks to for letting me discover this wonderful album.

Bupie | 4/5 |